“National Moot Court Competition – 6th Edition“
1. Short Title: These Rules shall be called the 6th MM National Moot Court Competition Rules, 2023.
2. Definitions: Unless otherwise stated following shall be construed here in under as:
a. “Administrator” shall mean the MM(DU) Moot Court Committee
b. “Competition” means 6th MM National Moot Court Competition, 2023.
c. “Net Court Room Margin” means the aggregate of margin of victory or defeat of a team in the Preliminary Rounds.
d. “Participating Team” means the team which has registered itself for the competition as per the rules for registration.
e. “Participating Institution” shall be presumed to be the parent institution of the participating teams.
f. “Rules” means the 6th MM National Moot Court Competition Rules, 2023.
g. “Organizers” means the Department of Law, MAHARISHI MARKANDESWAR (DEEMED TO BE UNIVERSITY), MULLANA
II. GENERALRULES –
1. Date: The Competition shall be organized on 20th, 21st and 22nd April, 2023.
2. Dress Code: The participants shall adhere to following dress code when present in any court room during the Competition.
a. Ladies: White salwar and kurta or white shirt and black trousers along with black coat and black shoes.
b. Gentlemen: White shirt, black trousers and black tie along with black coat and black shoes.
Note: The participating teams shall also adhere to the above mentioned dress code while attending the inaugural and valedictory ceremonies of the Competition.
III. LANGUAGE –
Language: The language of the Competition shall be English.
IV. ELIGIBILITY AND TEAM COMPOSITION –
- Eligibility: The Competition shall be open to students who are
a. Pursuing an integrated 5 year Law in India or
b.Pursuing 3 year LL.B in India.
- Team Composition: Each team shall consist of minimum of two members and maximum of three members.
- In the event where a team consists of three members then–
Such team shall designate two of its members as speakers and one as researcher at the time of registration itself.
Any number of teams from the same institute can register.
Date of Registration: All the participating institutions have to confirm their participation by filling the online registration form by clicking on the link given below:
VI. PAYMENT DETAILS-
Registration fees must be remitted online as per the details mentioned below.
|Bank||Punjab National Bank, Mullana – Ambala|
|Branch Detail||MMET MULLANA|
|Beneficiary Name||Department of Law, MM (Deemed to be) University, Mullana- Ambala|
|A/c no. of beneficiary||51821131000790|
- Allotment of Team Code: Every team which has successfully registered under the Rules shall be allotted a unique code after the closure of the Registration for the Competition. Once the unique code has been allotted, every team must use the team code for any communication with the Organizers during the course of the Competition.
- Change in Team Composition: Any change in team composition must be intimated to the Organizers at the earliest. Any change must be accompanied with a registration form and an authority letter duly signed by the head of the institution. No change in team composition is allowed after registration by post.
VII. FORMAT OF THE COMPETITION-
- Draw of Lots: The match up of teams will be determined on the basis of draw of lots.
- Rounds: The Competition is divided into–
A. Preliminary Rounds
B. Quarter- Final Round
C. Semi- Final Round
D. Final Round
A. Preliminary Rounds:
Each team shall represent only one side as decided during draw of lots.
- Scoring in the Preliminary Rounds:
The aggregate score of a team shall be computed as the total of
- Score of Speaker 1
- Score of Speaker 2
- Score of the memorial.
- Arrangement of Ranking:
The teams in the Preliminary Rounds shall be ranked on the basis of below mentioned criteria–
a. The teams shall be first differentiated on their win-loss record after the Preliminary Rounds Net-Court Room Margin.
b. If there is a tie, the team with the higher aggregate score will be allotted the higher rank.
c. If the tie subsists, the team with the higher speaker score will be allotted the higher rank.
d. If the tie still subsists, the team with the highest individual speaker score out of speakers of tied teams will be allotted the higher rank.
e. If the ties till subsists, the team with the higher memorial score will be allotted higher rank.
- Results: The results of the Preliminary Rounds shall be declared soon after the conclusion of the Preliminary Rounds. The top eight teams will qualify for the Advanced Rounds
a. The top eight teams from the Preliminary Rounds will qualify for the quarter-finals.
b. The side for the quarter-finals shall be decided by way of draw of lots.
c. The quarter-finals shall be a knock-out round.
d. The win-loss shall be decided on the basis of the aggregate speaker score.
No memorial score will be added in the Quarter-final. The win-loss shall be determined on the basis of score so computed. The team with higher aggregate score shall proceed to the Semi-final round.
a. Four teams from the Quarter-Final Round shall qualify for the Semi-Finals.
b. The side of the team shall be decided by way of the draw of lots.
c. The semi-final shall be a knock-out round.
d. The win –loss shall be decided on the basis of the aggregate speaker score.
No memorial score will be added in the semi-final. The win-loss shall be determined on the basis of score so computed. The team with higher aggregate score shall proceed to the final round.
In the final round, the win-loss shall be decided on the basis of the aggregate speaker score. No memorial score will be added in the finals. The win-loss shall be determined on the basis of scores computed.
Deciding of Winner in Case of Tie in Advanced Rounds:
In the event of tie in advanced rounds, then–
a. The team with the highest individual speaker score out of speakers of tied teams will be allotted the higher rank.
b. If the tie still subsists, the winner of the round shall be decided by adding the score of memorials to the aggregate speaker scores.
- Strict Adherence to Rules Regarding Memorials: All requirements have to be strictly followed. Non-adherence to the same will attract penalty subject to the discretion of the organizers.
- Memorials to be prepared from Both Sides: Each team must prepare memorials for both sides.
- Submission of Soft Copy of Memorials:
a. The soft copies of the memorial from each side should reach the Organizers on [email protected] in pdf format latest by 11th April, 2023 before 11.59P.M.
b. Memorials shall be sent via mail in pdf formats only in the form of single file for each side of memorial and shall be named as TC (Team Code__) Prosecution or Defendant.
c. A penalty of 1mark shall be levied in case the memorial is submitted in any other format or as a multiple file by the team.
- Submission of Hard Copy of Memorials:
a. Five Hard copies of the memorial from each side, i.e 10 copies in total along with the travelling and accommodation form should reach the Organizers on the below mentioned address latest by 13th April, 2023.
b.(Only through speed post)–
Student Moot Court Society
Department of law
Maharishi Markandeshwar (Deemed to be University)
Mullana, Ambala (Haryana) PinCode133207
No Difference between Soft Copy and Hard Copy of Memorial: The hard copy of memorial must be exact replica of the soft copy submitted to the Organizers. Any difference in the same will result in disqualification from the Competition.
5. Penalty for Late Submission:
a. A penalty of 2 marks per day per side shall be deducted in case of delay in submission of soft copy of memorial.
b. A penalty of 2 marks per day per side shall be deducted in case of delay in submission of hard copy of memorial.
6. General Conditions for Memorials:
a. The memorials shall not contain any form of identification apart from the team code. If any such identification or mark, symbol, etc. which has the effect of identifying the team is found on the memorial, then it shall result in instant disqualification.
b. Appellant/Petitioner memorials are required to have a blue cover and Respondent/Accused memorials are required to have a red cover.
c. A penalty of 1 mark per side shall be levied in case the team uses wrong cover page for each side of memorial.
7. Guidelines for Formatting:
1. Memorial Structure: The memorial must have following pages only:
1. Cover Page
2. Table of Contents
3. List of Abbreviations
4. Index of Authorities
5. Statement of Jurisdiction
6. Synopsis of Facts
7. Issues Raised
8. Summary of Arguments
9. Pleadings/Arguments Advanced
2. Team Code: The team code must be ascribed on the top right corner of the cover page. The code must be preceded by the side for which the memorial is prepared. The teams must use “A” for Appellant, P for “Petitioner” and R for “Respondent.”For example: in case the Team Code is 10 the team must write “A-10” in case of memorial for Appellant and “R-10” in case of memorial for Respondent.
Times New Roman Font Size–12 points Line Spacing–1.5 Line Spacing
Times New Roman Font Size–10 points Line Spacing– Single Spaced
4. Pagination: The pagination must be done at the bottom of the page.
5. Margin: A margin of 1inch on all sides of the memorial should be left.
6. Citation Format: The 20th Edition of Bluebook system of citation should be followed throughout the memorial.
7. Page Limit: The memorial shall be of a maximum of 40 pages including the cover page and Pleadings/Arguments Advanced shall be of a maximum of 25 pages. No annexure, photographs, exhibits, etc. should be added to the memorial.
Penalty: A penalty of 1 mark per violation per side shall be levied in case of non-adherence with the aforementioned guidelines for formatting.
8. Marking Criteria for Memorials:
Evidence of Original Thought
Knowledge of Law and Facts
Proper and Articulate Analysis
Structure, Language and Grammar
Extent and Use of Research
Correct format and citation
IX. ORAL ROUNDS-
Timings for the Oral Pleadings:
- For preliminary and Quarter-Finals:
1. Each team is allotted a total of 20 minutes to present their oral arguments.
2. The timing can be divided between both the speakers according to the wish of the team subject to a maximum of 12 minutes and minimum of 8 minutes per speaker.
3. The time division has to be informed to the Court Master before the beginning of the oral arguments.
4. A maximum of 5 minutes may be reserved for rebuttal or sur-rebuttal which shall be at the discretion of the judges which shall be inclusive of the above time limits.
5. The allotment of extra time shall be at the discretion of the judges.
2. Semi-Final and Final Rounds:
6. Each team is allotted a total of 25 minutes to present their oral arguments.
7.The timing can be divided between both the speakers according to the wishes of the team subject to a maximum of 15 minutes and minimum of 10 minutes per speaker.
8. The time division has to be informed to the Court Master before the beginning of the oral arguments.
9. A maximum of 5 minutes may be reserved for rebuttal or sur-rebuttal which shall be given at the discretion of the judges which shall be inclusive of the above time limits.
10. The allotment of extra time shall be at the discretion of the judges.
Marking Criteria for the Oral Rounds:
|SR.NO||MARKING CRITERIA||MARKS ALLOTTED|
|1.||Knowledge and Application of Law and Facts||20|
|2.||Ingenuity and Ability to answer questions||20|
|3.||Style, Poise, Courtesy, Demeanour||20|
|4.||Organization and Flow of Arguments||20|
|5.||Reference to Memorials||20|
- Levy of Maximum Penalties: Not withstanding anything in the rules, a maximum of 20 marks shall be deducted as penalties for violations under the Rules.
- Submission of Authorities: The teams shall only submit genuine authorities from Journals or other authentic sources, or their xerox. The teams may prepare and submit Compendium of authorities before the beginning of oral arguments to the panel of Judges, otherwise they can only submit authorities with the prior permission of the panel or if demanded by the Judges.
- Scouting: No member of any participating team shall view any other oral rounds while the team is still in the competition. If such an incident comes to the notice of the organizers then the scouting team shall be subject to disqualification. Teams may file a written complaint of scouting to the Organizers. The decision of the Organizers shall be final and binding.
- Non – Disclosure of Identity: Teams shall not disclose their identity, i.e. the name of their institution, city, etc. or any other information which has the effect of disclosing their identity and affiliation with a particular university or institution. Such disclosure shall result in disqualification subject to the discretion of the Organizers.
- Copyright: The copyright with regard to the memorials submitted for the participation in the Competition is assigned by participants and shall also vest completely and fully with the Organizers. The participants shall certify the originality of the memorials and the materials used and shall be responsible for any claim or dispute arising out of further use and exhibition of these materials.
The Organizers shall have the right to publicly display, distribute it electronically or otherwise and they shall not be responsible for any liability to any person for any loss caused by errors or omissions in this collection of information, or for accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in these materials.
- Participating teams may seek clarifications via mail on the Official Email with subject title as: 6th MM National Moot Court Competition, 2023 – Clarification.
- The last date to seek clarifications to the Moot Proposition is 8th April, 2023.
XII. AWARDS AND PRIZES
Awards: The following awards shall be awarded in the Competition
a. Best Team: The Team winning the final round of the Competition shall be given a trophy and a cash prize of INR 18,000 (Indian Rupees Eighteen Thousand Only).
b. Runners Up: the runners up team in the final round of the Competition shall be given a trophy and a cash prize of INR 14,000 (Indian Rupees Fourteen Thousand Only).
c. Best Mooter: The Mooter having the highest score in the competition shall be given the cash prize of INR 3,000 (Indian Rupees Three Thousand Only).
d. Best Memorial: The team having the highest average memorial score from both sides shall be given the cash prize of INR 3,000 (Indian Rupees Three Thousand Only).
e. Best Researcher: There shall be researcher test and the best performer shall be given the cash prize of INR 3,000(Indian Rupees Three Thousand Only).
f. Certificates of merit shall be given to all the teams qualifying or quarterfinals and beyond
g. Certificate of participation shall be given to all the participating teams.
h. Trophies shall also be given to the winners.
XIII. ACCOMMODATION AND FOOD:
Accommodation and food shall be provided by the Organizers to the team members in the University. The Accommodation will be provided on shared basis in the hostels at university campus. There will be separate hostel facilities for Girls and Boys.
a. Power to Amend or Alter Rules: The rules mentioned herein are not exhaustive. The Organizers reserve the right to alter, amend or add to the rules mentioned herein at any point of time. All decisions made by Organizers in case of any disputes, doubts or related issues shall be final and binding. Imposition of all penalties including disqualification rests solely with the organizers in case of failure to comply with the rules mentioned herein.
b.Disclaimer: The preposition is fictitious and any resemblance to any person, living or dead, or incident, past or present, is coincidental and not intended by the author of the problem.
Notification of the Competition and Release of the Moot Proposition
Last Date of Registration
1st April, 2023
Last Date for Seeking Clarifications
8th April, 2023
Last Date of Submission of Soft Copy of Memorials
11th April, 2023
Last Date of Submission of Hard Copy of Memorials and Travel Form
13th April, 2023
Inauguration, Draw of Lots and Exchange of Memorials for Preliminary Round
20th April, 2023
20th April, 2023
20th April, 2023
21st April, 2023
Semi Final Rounds
21st April, 2023
Final Round and Valedictory Ceremony
22nd April, 2023
Dr. Poonam Lamba: +91-9468332287
Mr. Manish Yadav : +91-9996009577
Ms. Rimpy Bhardwaj : +91-9736596722
Mr. Dhananjay Singh : +91-8126333003
Ms. Apurva Bhalla: President SMCS
Ms. Gurusha Bhalla: Vice President SMCS